Who do CASAs serve?

CASAs serve children who have been adjudicated as "child in need of assistance" (CINA) by the court when the judge or another party to the case requests a CASA. Advocates are formally appointed by the court to serve the child. In Iowa the need is great. (Click to enlarge graphs.)


chart  Two girls photo

These statistics reflect the number of children involved in cases of "founded" abuse or neglect, with children referred for DHS supervision in calendar year 2020. Another 1,947 children had a finding of "confirmed" abuse or neglect, which is minor, isolated, and not likely to re-occur.